Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"And the truth shall set you free..."

Carl Gladstone shows up quite often on my Facebook thread, and every now and quite often one of his comments catches my eye. Here's one from this morning:



Carl Gladstone Watched the bio of Jon Stewart on Hulu. Who'da thought the guy from Half Baked would be the most trusted news source for 20-30 yr olds?
a
a
a
a
Believe it or not, earlier in the day Eric and I were talking about where we turn for truth and insight into the world. Didn't theologian Karl Barth say that we need to engage the world with the bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other. Problem is, for me, I don't trust or believe most the major news outlets. I'm tired of corporate and political slants and propaganda getting passed off as news.
a
People give 20 and 30 year olds a hard time for turning to The Onion and The Daily Show for their news. But I appreciate that their satyrical approach that requires viewers to have at least the basic understanding of world events. But still, I long for truth...
a
Where do you turn for honest and earnest reporting of the news--local, state, global?

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, a couple quick stories that may get at part of what your question asks:

    I ran across an article on Jon Stewart a couple years back that I still use when talking with churches about the need to be aware of the changing dynamics of how different age groups and generations process information. The part of the article that I often zero in on is the juxtaposition of two comment, one from a network TV executive that says in effect that young adults will someday “grow-up” and learn to appreciate network news. The networks just need to wait things out. The other comment is from a 21 year old who says that she thinks traditional TV network news will die out because she and her generation won’t ever go back to that source. The issue I try to stress when I use this article is that we in the church need to be careful that we don’t fall into the same attitude as the network executive: Young adults will eventually “grow up” and rediscover the mainline church of the 1950’s. We just need to keep doing what we already know how to do. Meanwhile young adults have already moved away from traditional institutional church and won’t be coming back. If that is happening (or has already happened) then the church has positioned itself to wait for something that will never occur!

    Now the second story that maybe gets more to your point about where young adults turn for information: As I was trying to track down the article, I first dutifully went to the website of the newspaper that published it. I searched their archives for the title and author of the article, signed in with a user name and password and then found out I needed to pay $2.95 for onetime access to the article, a bit more for a limited time usage or substantially more for unlimited access. After a 30 second Google search I came up with a place to access it for free. Interestingly it’s the same newspaper website just a different entry point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... looks like my hyper link didn't work. Here's the link to the Jon Stewart article - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/gail_shister/20070513_Young_adults_eschew_traditional_nightly_news_for__quot_The_Daily_Show__quot_.html?page=1&c=y

    ReplyDelete