Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Technology, Community, and Young Adult Ministry

Relevant Magazine recently polled its readers with the following question: "Which one piece of technology could you not live without?" And here's how they responded.

And I get excited by some of the possibilities that new technology gives us. Last week, I knew I would be preaching on the verse where Jesus says, "Deny yourself and take up your cross and follow me." I posted a question on Facebook, and a dozen or so people responded--people from all across the US--even building on each other's comments. I brought their thoughts into the sermon, which I then posted back online at our chruch's website. So, I get excited by the creative and collaborative possibilities some of the new technologies give us.

But at the same time, I know these new technologies come with their challenges. Despite the fact that I have email, Facebook, or text message contact with nearly all of the young adults in my church on a regular basis, I can't think of the last time more than a few of us got together in person. We have a web of relationships, but I feel like there's something lacking. And so I wrestle with how to build community given the new tools of technology.

What do you think? Share your experience with technology, community, and young adult ministry. What are some of the pros and cons. And what are you doing that's using new tech to engage people in ministry?

Peace,

rc

1 comment:

  1. As an introvert emailing and using technology is easier on me then talking to people in person or even on the phone. So I would rather do that. However I have found the lack of the conversation in person distorts the communication. Many more miscommunications happen over techonlogy then face to face. So I have committed to going face to face with important conversations.

    ReplyDelete